Tuesday, March 18, 2008

4 Nickels and a Penny

21%.

That's the number, people, 21%.

That's the number of my peers who didn't match yesterday. Consider that. Consider the number of years in undergrad, in medical school, and the cost and stress of interviewing only to be told that "Sorry, you didn't match, please 'rematch' tomorrow afternoon!"

I don't know if I'd have the stomach for it. I also don't know if I'll have the stomach for the school's use of this number to the future classes. They've been waiting for this day since we've been the guinea pigs for the new direction the school's taken.

We warned them, but they didn't listen to us. They wanted to do things their way - and look what happened to them!

I know something like that will be said.

Apparently OB/GYN has become rather competitive since several didn't match in this area; many others were in surgical pursuits. I wish my friends and classmates luck. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, not even my beloved Worst Medical Student Ever.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I am blown away by that number. Too bad.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Webcam, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://webcam-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Liz said...

Wow, that is nuts. I feel so bad for your classmates. Congrats to you, though :)

The Lone Coyote said...

Damn, that is a lot of people. I have no idea how my class did overall as I have only heard a few rumors floating around. My heart goes out to anyone who had to scramble today.

Anonymous said...

what exactly can your dean's office blame on the students? I am confused by that remark, it seems that any blame would reside on the people who make up the curriculum for the students.

that does seem like an extremely high unmatched rate.

The Girl said...

Wow, that is sad.

From an outsider's perspective, what does the "scramble" mean - do they still have a chance of entering into the specialty they want?

Anonymous said...

you have to keep in mind that sometimes the scramble rate has nothing to do with the school and a lot to do with the choices people make when they rank...ie where they will live, not giving up on wanting that super competitive spot. and then you have the limitation of the number of interviews you are granted which limits your rank list. scrambling is really just a clusterf**k of many variables.