Wednesday, January 23, 2008

2008 Meme

Thanks, DG!

All right, in 2008:

1. Will you be looking for a new job? Yes, of course. Haven't you been paying attention to all of the residency talk around this place? Basically it will be the first job in almost 4 years - at least that I receive a paycheck for.

2. Will you be looking for a new relationship? Um, no. At least I sure as hell shouldn't be - what with being married with kids and all.

3. New house? Hopefully. Even if we stay in the same place we'll be looking at purchasing a home for the 1st time since we've been together. It's exciting to know that at most of the places were looking at we can actually afford to purchase on a resident's salary!

4. What will you do differently in 08? Try to exercise more, eat a little better, study the treatments for more diseases, and be more willing to help out medical students. I will also try to be more loving and listen better to my family.

5. New Years resolution? Stop drinking sodas (have only had one thus far), tell my wife I love her daily, and live by the motto: "Live and let live".

6. What will you NOT be doing in 08? Watching a lot of movies, sleeping more than 7 hours a night, and generally being able to live outside of the hospital (at least when July starts).

7. Any trips planned? No - other than residency interviews and a house hunting venture if it's needed. We need the money.

8. Wedding? Already been there, done that...happy with it.

9. Major things on your calendar? Hells yeah! March 18th I find out if I matched and the 20th we find out where we're matched. Residency will start in July or late June, and a potential major change in our lives will transpire.

10. What can't you wait for? Finding out where in the hell we'll be at. I'm really over all of this already...let's get on with the process.

11. What would you like to see happen differently? I'd like to be more fiscally responsible and be able to manage my budget with more efficacy. I had far too many overdrafts this last year and I hate paying out $30 a pop per transaction.

12. What about yourself will you be changing? Hopefully my body fat percentage will be around 10% or less. I also hope to try and relax more often and not get stressed over everything. I imagine that the entire process of internship will leave me with a great deal of medical knowledge that I thought I'd had, but didn't understand.

13. What happened in 07 that you didn't think would ever happen? That we'd sell Wife's car and purchase another, relatively new, one. I had planned on having both cars go through residency - but sometimes it's better having cars that work well than hoping you don't have to pay for more repairs. Another was the death of my cousin and sister (12/24/06). Both died suddenly and unexpectedly. My father was also diagnosed with renal cell carcinoma and had two operations where he lost one kidney and 25% of the other. I finally realized that I had to get glasses and now wear them readily - even if they make me look older than I really am.

14. Will you be nicer to the people you care about? That's part of my resolution for this year.

15. Will you dress differently this year than you did in 07? I'll still be dressing in work related attire: scrubs, slacks and shirt and tie. So, no.

16. Will you start or quit drinking? What are you, nuts? I love beer. I'm not stopping any time now. A good beer with a football game or after a hard days work is wonderful.

17. Will you better your relationship with your family? Hope to. Losing some family abruptly and having cancer spring up made me realize that I need to keep in contact more often.

18. Will you be nice to people you don't know? I will try. The fact that some of these people will be the nursing staff who can make my year a living hell or nice might play into my affability. Plus it's always nice to have a cool intern when you're starting out the clinics as a med student.

19. Do you expect '08 to be a good year for you? Sure, why not.

20. How much did you change from this time last year till now? I finally know what I want to do in medicine, I'm focused, and I'm less likely to lose my sanity. Other than that, not a whole lot.

21. Do you plan on having a child? I'm not sure...we're kinda in a weird place in the marriage where anything could happen. So another child might not be the best thing right now.

22. What are your plans for new year's eve? Stay at home, celebrate with my family, and drink some wine as the ball drops.

23. Will you have someone to kiss at midnight? Yes, Wife.

24. One wish for 08? That I don't kill anyone when I start my intern year.

No one will be tagged - I don't do that.







4 comments:

Doc's Girl said...

Thank you! :) I, too, will keep my fingers crossed for you that you don't kill someone your intern year. :)

Liz said...

wow i had no idea that you've been through so much in the past year or so. you've alluded to it before...
May this year be a happy & healthy one for you and your family... and may the match Gods be good to you!! :)

Liana said...

I'm tagging myself.

Happy New Year.

Dougal said...

It can't actually work, I believe so.
here