Friday, February 8, 2008

Nothing Diet About It

Thanks be to Lone Coyote for reminding my of an article I had read last week and wanted to post about.

I’ve always been one of those people who refused to drink “diet” sodas. Partly because I had a fear that I’d be branded effeminate, like a guy seen drinking Tab, I steered clear of them. Another part of me, especially when I was in middle school science and my teacher went on a rant about the fact that the body still reacts to the fake sugar like real sugar, knew that they weren’t anymore healthy than a regular drink. The fact that many fat people I've known will eat like crazy, but say they're on a diet because they're drinking Diet Coke also dissuaded me.

Some researchers seem to believe this as well, as I read about from this article. So I guess my crazy ol’ teacher and Diet Dr. Pepper are right – there’s nothing diet about it.

3 comments:

OMDG said...

I had a fear that I’d be branded effeminate.

Funny, I never pegged you as someone who would care about something like that... oh wait, yes I did!

(I'm TEASING YOU MSG, get over it.)

;-)

I have to concur with you on the diet beverages though. Mostly because I don't ever want to be seen as someone who cares about her weight (I already get enough comments about me being too skinny as it is -- there's no way I'm gonna give the haters any anorexia ammo....) but also because the diet stuff tastes REPULSIVE to me.

That being said, I do know a lot of perfectly virile-seeming men who drink diet. But then, I do live in the land of the liberal/ metrosexual (i.e. the Northeast), so I'm not sure my observations will carry too much weight with you.

The Lone Coyote said...

Thanks for the shout-out. Your Tab comment gave me a good laugh. My partner and I just discussed it and we think that Fresca just might be the most girly drink around. Even here in the liberal, gay mecca of the US, I have never seen a man drinking Fresca. Actually, I have only seen that drink being consumed by nurses at the hospital who are "on a diet for my New Year's resolution."

Anonymous said...

Damn it....I love diet pespi. I traded real coke for diet years ago. Now It is just as bad for me!